Visitor Count

Friday 17 July 2009

Paperwork

We've sent in our first visa application form I-130, and I'm now in the process of getting various vaccinations prior to a medical examination, date as yet undetermined. We're also arranging vacciantions for our cat who will be coming to the US with us.


This is my first experience of trying to understand information provided by the US Government, specifically the US Embassy in London, US Customs, and the State of Oregon, and I'm sure all Americans reading will understand that it appears unnecessarily complicated and frustrating.


My own vaccinations required are listed on one form, but then there's another page explaining the age ranges, so that I would seem to be covered for most things either by already having them , or by being exempt due to my current age. The need to refer back and forth is annoying.


There appear to be no restrictions on the cat, other than he is free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry.


So far so good, but for every bit of information in one place, there appears to be a contradictory piece of information elsewhere, leaving me once again confused. The fact that I'm not the only person who finds this all confusing and alarmingly disorganised is backed up by the various threads on DiveintoAmerica, an online forum for people trying to immigrate to the US.

Happliy my wife is great at gathering information, so generally I can leave her to do the research (pretending that as she enjoys this I am doing her a favour) and I just act as the pin cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers