Visitor Count

Monday 7 February 2011

Superbowl XLV

Not every American watches the Superbowl and that's OK, but most do, and it's the biggest sporting event in the US Calendar, watched around the world, and the focus for many get-togethers.

This year thanks to WalMart refusing me the day off, I was unable to watch the game live as I have done most of the last 25 years, nor have a get-together. I have often stayed up late into the night, and on one memorable occasion ignored the pain of a broken toe for several hours before cycling to hospital and spending another several hours waiting to be given a couple of pain killer tablets and some toe strapping.

This was only my third Superbowl watched while in the USA, at least I able to get home and watch the recording before game was finished, and thus avoid all the Facebook updates telling me who won and spoiling my fun.

This year it was a close game, coming down to the last two minutes which many of Superbowls have failed to do. There is more supposed parity in the NFL (the governing body for Football in the US) than in the British Premier League, but the big game is still dominated by a handful of teams. You can share out the money equally, and try to share out the talented players equally, but you'll still get teams that draft better, coach better, and motivate better.

This year the game was won by the Green Bay Packers, the only team in the NFL owned by the fans rather than some billionaire businessman or the heir(s) of an original owner, so in a way it's a victory for the common man.

1 comment:

  1. I lucked out in 2008 - I went to NYC for a few days with some friends, watched the game at a nearby bar ($20 entry, free draught beers and nibbles), and then got to watch the Giants victory parade up Broadway :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers